Epoch 252

Statistics for Epoch 252

Estimated number of blocks (Adapools.org) : 5.2

Block Allocated : 4

Blocks Produced : 4

Luck* : 77%

Blocks Predicted for the Next Epoch: 7

Community-driven stake pools are producing 90% of all blocks we continue the decentralisation process, the remaining 10% produced by federated IOG nodes. Estimated date for complete decentralisation of the Cardano block-chain is 31st March 2021.

A decent epoch with all the blocks allocated produced even though a little under the average expected, but as we have been lucky with the lottery in the last few epochs and have seven blocks potentially next epoch there is nothing to complain about.

The new block prediction software seems to be working OK now after a slight hiccup with the times it was giving out not being in the correct timezone but that was swiftly fixed and should be fine now for the next epoch. This is useful as it shows us when we should be expecting blocks and especially useful after upgrades or maintenance to ensure things are running smoothly.

We are moving closer to the entire network being run by the stake pool operators and there is more information here from IOG regarding this. We would say the network is not 100% decentralised as there are still things that need working on i.e. P2P (How nodes get information about other nodes to connect to in the network), decentralised updates to the core node software and some other aspects but this should come by the end of the year.

We have quite a few more delegators again this epoch so welcome to you all and thanks to all of you who continue with is on this journey. Exciting times are ahead and we will get back to you all at the end of the next epoch.

* – Blocks are allocated randomly each epoch based upon total stake a pool has just like a lottery. Luck refers to how many blocks were allocated to a pool against the expected blocks that the pools should produce. Some epochs (5 day periods) you will be allocated more blocks and some less but over time it should even out.