Epoch 244

Statistics for Epoch 244

Estimated number of blocks (Adapools.org) : 6.2

Block Allocated : 4

Blocks Produced : 4

Luck* : 64%

Blocks Predicted for the Next Epoch: 5

Community-driven stake pools are producing 74% of all blocks we continue the decentralisation process, the remaining 26% produced by federated IOG nodes. Estimated date for complete decentralisation of the Cardano block-chain is late March 2021.

We produced the blocks allocated this month and for the next epoch it looks like we will be allocated 5 blocks, still slightly below expectations.

This epoch 1.25.1 cardano node software was released and quite a few pools have upgraded and made blocks but it is still not officially signed off by the ops team at IOG (Update – is now signed off) so we will upgrade during the next epoch. This software version is required for the next Hard Fork Combinator event which is loosely scheduled for Feb 22nd. There is a little more work needed on the upgrade as some of the monitoring variable names have been changed in this release which means we have to alter our Grafana setup (web based graphical monitoring) and our scripts we run for alerts on each node to reflect the new values.

This means at the end of the month we enter the Mary era of Cardano which is the second part of the Gougen release and allow for multi-assets on the blockchain. If you want a deep dive of the progress of the project and what is coming then the monthly update is a great place to start. The project is starting to pick up steam and the next few months should be really exciting to see which projects move over to or are developed on the Cardano blockchain.

Thanks to all our delegators who continue to trust us to deliver for them and although our block allocations have not been fantastic for a few epochs we hope we get some above expected allocations to balance this out. That’s all for this brief update and we look forward the next update at the end of the next epoch.

* – Blocks are allocated randomly each epoch based upon total stake a pool has just like a lottery. Luck refers to how many blocks were allocated to a pool against the expected blocks that the pools should produce. Some epochs (5 day periods) you will be allocated more blocks and some less but over time it should even out.