Epoch 239 – 100!

Statistics for Epoch 239

Estimated number of blocks (Adapools.org) : 4.5

Block Allocated : 7

Blocks Produced : 7

Luck* : 155%

Blocks Predicted for the Next Epoch: 2

Community-driven stake pools are producing 68% of all blocks we continue the decentralisation process, the remaining 32% produced by federated IOG nodes. Estimated date for complete decentralisation of the Cardano blockchain is March 2021.

Well that was a good start to the new year with seven blocks produced and we gained some new stake to push us over eight million in total staked and we have just produced our 100th block. All good news and we welcome our latest delegator and we hope for more as this makes us more competitive. All pools have to charge a fee of 340 ADA per epoch for pool charges and this hurts smaller pools who produce fewer blocks as it really affects the ROI and makes us look uncompetitive.

The pool has been running fairly smoothly there was still some small issues seen on one relay probably related to pools that have not upgraded to the latest version of the Cardano node but this seems to have now calmed down with the blocking script we enabled.

For us the last year has been exciting, challenging and fun! We started with the ITN (Incentivised Test Net) at the start of January 2020 and that was a challenge with early versions of the software being very unstable (this written in Rust and not Haskell as is used currently) and all the operators developing scripts to try and keep our nodes up. After this we transitioned into main net with the Shelley and a new Cardano node written in Haskell and this was super stable from the get go. We have brushed up our server installation skills, firewalls and security, website creation, Linux server monitoring and a whole lot of other skills needed to run a node. 2021 we are sure will be just as fun and challenging and we can’t wait. For those interested there is a yearly recap from IOG.

As in the last epoch we will run the block prediction tool prior to the next epoch to give you an idea of what we expect to be allocated in the coming epoch. Running this now looks like we will only be allocated two blocks so not fantastic but there will be other good epochs to make it back up.

That’s it from this epoch and we will be back in 5 days for another recap. Thanks to all our delegators and here’s to a great 2021!

* – Blocks are allocated randomly each epoch based upon total stake a pool has just like a lottery. Luck refers to how many blocks were allocated to a pool against the expected blocks that the pools should produce. Some epochs (5 day periods) you will be allocated more and some less but over time it should even out.